Due to the fact that the inspectors need to climb the turbine three times (for three rotor blades) it still remains a time-consuming method. The average time for an inspection by rope descent is about 3 to 4 hours. With that in mind Skyproff started to look for a more cost-effective, and even more importantly a safer way to carry out time-effective rotor blade inspections.
We flew the drone at a customer’s wind farm with wind speeds reaching up to 12 metres per second!
After the inspection has taken place according to a specified protocol (flight path), the images and inspection details are send to our headquarters and analysed. Experienced blade technicians take a thorough look at the detailed footage that was shot, and create a detailed report for the customer, accompanied by their recommendations or, if necessary, advice to stop the turbine immediately.
- Quick scanning of the fleet (8+Turbines per day)
- Low down time on each turbine (~45min of stoppage time per turbine)
- Hi-res photos from close range and orthogonal vantage points
- Spot-checking for tracking of defects over time
- LE erosion monitoring
- Warranty and repair scanning
- Insurance evidence collection
- Emergency viewing after lightning strikes or storms
- Onshore & o_shore capabilities
- Fly in windy and poor conditions
- Automated data processing /analytics / report generation
A Typical Inspection Job Process:
- Together with the client we define the scope of the job (location, # Turbines, etc)
- Skyproff Inspector (S.I.) gains the necessary flight permissions
- We agree on appropriate windows with acceptable weather conditions
- S.I. brings our team onsite with appropriate gear, spare parts, and safety training
- S.I. collect your data per the agreed upon job plan
- S.I. upload data to the cloud
- S.I. process the images using our automated algorithms and analyze the results with our experienced technicians
- S.I. generate a report and give you access to view the defects found and raw images online from anywhere in the world
- Together, we go through the report and findings to leave you with all questions answered
Blade Inspection Reports
The provide GIS based software solution for storing data, analysis, and reports about your wind farm assets, in a cloud-based, secure, globally accessible database.
Once we have collected the data and processed the images, everything is uploaded to the clients account and instantly viewable online. If defect analysis and categorization was part of the service contract, the client will instantly see the results and be able to generate a prioritized report that allows for quick scanning of the most critical issues to address.
We do the heavy lifting of sifting through, and processing all the images. Clients can then focus resources on only the most critical areas.
Our turnaround time is flexible, down to 24-48hr emergency turnaround, but generally is 2 weeks from start of data collection to when the client is able to view the results.
Once the data is in the system, reports are generated instantly online, or downloadable as an Excel sheet, and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection and login credentials.
Once data collection is planned, and appropriate regulatory permissions are granted, turbines can be capture at a rate of 8+ per day. The exact rate depends on wind conditions, daylight hours, etc.
Technicians upload the data daily, provided a decent internet connection, and our analysis automated algorithms, analysis team, and quality control team, begin the processing and analysis work. This process, from data upload, generally takes 2 weeks, but can be done expedited as required by the client. With proper internet connection, data collected and uploaded one day, can be turned around for client viewing of the report, the day after.
Every regulatory environment is different, and requires special permissions, and often times job specific permissions. Contact us for a list of countries where our services are offered in a quick-turn fashion; generally a minimum of 30 days is needed for a job specific application to be approved. This completely varies country by country so please inquire as to your needs and we will inform you about the timing restrictions due to the local regulatory environment. Additionally, jobs requiring beyond line of visual site (BVLOS) may also be restricted due to current regulatory conditions. Again, this completely depends on the country and inquiries should be made regarding your specific job requirements.